The impressive cocktail program at Calistoga, Calif.'s Solbar "takes it's lead from the michelin-starred kitchen — using fresh, local products at the pique of their ripeness and availability," says head bartender Michael Pazdon.
Pears served as the initial inspiration behind this stunning creation. From there, Pazdon says he "selected white whiskey, which has a more delicate flavor and a nice maltiness to it, and then brought in sage which has a natural muskiness, and finally orgeat to bring everything together with its richness and floral notes."
- 3 sage leaves
- Pinch of turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 ounce white whiskey, such as Charbay Doubled and Twisted or Death's Door
- 1 1/2 ounce peat purée
- 3/4 ounces lemon juice
- 3/4 ounces house-made orgeat syrup
- 3/4 ounces egg whites
- 2 sage leaves, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2- 1 1/2"-thick bone-in pork rib chops (8 ounces each)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- freshly ground pepper
- 8 sprigs sage
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Heat oil in a large skillet over mediumhigh. Season pork chops all over (including the fat cap) with salt and pepper. Cook pork chops until bottom side is golden brown, about 1 minute. Turn and cook on other side about 1 minute before turning again. Repeat this process, turning about every minute, until chops are deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 135°, 8 minutes (cooking time will depend on thickness of chops).
- Remove pan from heat and add sage, garlic, and butter, smashing garlic into butter. Tilt skillet and spoon foaming butter and drippings over pork chops, making sure to baste the fat cap as well as the rib. Transfer pork chops to a cutting board and let rest at least 5 minutes (pork will come to 145° as it sits).
- Cut away bone and slice pork about 1/4" thick. Serve with any juices from the cutting board spooned over top.
Nutritional analysis provided by Bon Appétit
Glitter Glue Slime
Skip a step and stock up on pre-glittered school glue for a super-quick batch of slime anytime. Just add liquid starch to the glue, and keep kneading by hand until you reach the perfect consistency.
Pro-tip: Order all ingredients in bulk online, and be ready for slime at a moment’s notice or when the weather washes away outdoor plans.
You’ll flip for this eggnog alternative
For some, ’tis the season of thick, rich, lactose-forward eggnog. Then there’s the rest of us. Whether you land in the nog camp or not, a festive, boozy, neutral ground can be found in the flip.
The winding road to the flip as we know it today starts in 17th century England, where a flip was a warm winter drink made with beer, rum and sugar. In early America, an innovation changed it — a hot iron was plunged into the finished drink, causing it to froth, or “flip.” Eventually, the flip lost both the beer and the red-hot poker, picked up a whole egg and became, like revenge, best served cold.
The official L.A. Times list of the 101 best restaurants in Los Angeles, curated by our restaurant critics.
Although traditionally made without cream, flips are decidedly creamy in texture — rich and sweet-leaning, with a thick, impressively frothy head. The secret to achieving these holiday-friendly attributes at home lies in the dry shake. Since ice inhibits foam, this technique relies on a vigorous shake sans ice to facilitate foaming first, then adds cubes for a second shake to chill and dilute. This approach is effective but can get messy — egg proteins expand and raise the pressure inside the tin — so keep a towel nearby and a firm grip on your shaker.
Choose your flip based on your love of — or aversion to — eggnog. The Noggy Flip is more nog-leaning, combining aged rum, sherry and warming spices. The Not So Noggy Flip, shaken with the nog-avoidant in mind, pulls together aromatic Amaro, sweet vermouth and a maraschino cherry.
Your reward either way is a seasonally appropriate cocktail in both look and flavor that will impress as folks come through the door or that is served alongside — or in place of — dessert.
A Versatile Side Dish
White Corn Polenta
Pair with: Trefethen The Cowgirl and The Pilot Merlot
– 2 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1 cup whole milk
– 1 cup Anson Mills white polenta (yellow polenta may be substituted)
– ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated plus extra for serving
– 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
– ½ Tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
– 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
– ½ cup mascarpone cheese
– salt and pepper
1. Add the stock, cream, milk, and salt and pepper to a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Slowly pour the polenta into the hot liquid, whisking briskly to prevent clumping. Reduce the heat to low and continue whisking for about 10 minutes and cook until the liquid is absorbed.
3. Add the herbs, cheese, and butter to the saucepan, stirring gently until incorporated.
4. Serve polenta warm as a side dish, top with roasted mushrooms as an entrée, or pour onto a lined cookie sheet and allow to cool and firm. You can then cut the cooled polenta into any shape you desire and sear or roast in the oven.
Looking for more kitchen inspo? Check out Trefethen’s pairings and recipes online, or explore our roundup of wine-friendly recipes to make at home. They’re sure to help you master your culinary skills in 2021.
20 Jackfruit Recipes That Taste Exactly Like Meat
Savory, tender, and deliciously juicy are words you'd typically use to describe a steak&mdashbut jackfruit, which has become one of the hottest meat substitutes at the supermarket, does a pretty good job of embodying those traits, too. Thanks to its versatile texture (and neutral taste!), there&rsquos nothing this bumpy-skinned South Asian fruit can&rsquot do.
Like tofu, jackfruit&rsquos allure lies in its ability to absorb virtually any type of flavor, making it an all-star in both sweet and savory dishes, says Kelly McGrane, RD, nutritionist for Lose It!. Stew or boil the fruit's flesh in coconut milk and spices and sweet ripe jackfruit is a perfect topping for oatmeal or rice pudding. Milder, not-yet-ripe jackfruit, meanwhile, is perhaps the *best* plant-based sub for pulled chicken or pork in sandwiches, tacos, and more.
McGrane personally loves simmering the "meat" of this fruit in curry, tossing it with BBQ sauce, or cooking it with cumin and chili powder to (ahem) jack up burrito bowls.
We won&rsquot lie, though: Fresh jackfruit can be kind of a pain to buy and prepare (the fruit are HUGE). Luckily, it's pretty easy to find canned these days, which is more convenient and less intimidating than the idea of hacking away at a ginormous whole fruit to get to the good stuff. Just look for jackfruit canned in brine (and not syrup!) to avoid unnecessary added sugar&mdashespecially in savory dishes, says McGrane.
Magical as jackfruit's flavor and texture may be, it doesn&rsquot quite stack up to the likes of tofu, tempeh and beans in the nutrition department. In fact, it&rsquos higher in carbs and only contains three grams of protein per cup shredded, explains McGrane. So, uh, you may want to include another source of protein in your meal.
That said, the meat substitute's unique flavor and texture make it a must-try. Whether you&rsquore looking to up your #MeatlessMonday game with jackfruit tacos or cook up some vegan pulled pork, these jackfruit recipes are pure gold.
Missing the Blue Bayou like we are? The restaurant's famous Monte Christo is easy to make at home! Gather your basic ingredients like bread, cheese, turkey and ham and follow this recipe to fry up your own.
All photos: Courtesy of Disney Parks
According to the Disney Parks Blog, churros are sold all over the Disney Parks on both coasts and guests consume over 5.5 million per year. Now, you can make them right in your own kitchen.
21 Creative Handmade Soap Recipes for Beginners
Learn a practical skill, create gifts, and let your creativity run loose all at the same time by taking up the art of soap making. DIY soap is loaded with natural and aromatic products that are better for your skin and the planet. We've gathered 21 easy homemade soap recipes for beginners, including shampoo soap bars.
Before you begin, here's a quick tutorial about the chemistry behind making soap. To make soap completely from scratch (as opposed to melt and pour with premade soap bases), you'll need to use lye, which is a caustic salt known as sodium hydroxide. The chemical reaction between lye and oil ingredients is called saponification, which creates soap (and leaves no lye in the finished product).
Wear protective gear (eye goggles, gloves, long-sleeved tops, and pants) when working with lye.
Once you understand how to work with lye and experiment with the ingredients, tools, and equipment that it takes to make soap, you'll have learned a valuable skill.
How does the Ninja Foodi convert from a slow cooker, pressure cooker, and air fryer?
The Ninja Foodi comes with two lids, this means you have a lid that’s already attached to it that is used for air crisp or air fryer. There is also a basket that goes inside the pot for the air fryer as well.
If you plan to use the pressure cooker option or slow cooker option, there is a second lid for it. This lid looks very similar to the Instant Pot lid and it also comes with a rack for your pot as well just like the Instant Pot.
If you prefer though, I actually decided to purchase this glass lid to go with mine and it works just like you would use it for a slow cooker.
Subscribe to my channel on YouTube for step by step recipes – Subscribe Here
It’s so easy to use, we’ve cooked so many things in it I’ve literally lost count at this point. It has a sauté function as well, so I cook meat and veggies in it too before using the other functions.
How long does it take to roast a 2 kg chicken?
10 minutes at 220C/450F, then 1 hr 15 minutes at 180C/350F until the internal temperature is 75C/165F or until juices run clear.
The formula is: 10 minutes at 220C/450F, then 20 minutes for every 500g/1lb at 180C/350F until the internal temperature is 75C/165F or until juices run clear.
Watch the video: 2011 Maupin Sage Canyon Outfitters Bird Hunt (January 2022).