- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for drizzling
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- 4 ciabatta rolls or other Italian bread rolls, split horizontally
- 2 8-ounce balls mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced, drained on several layers of paper towels
- 2 cups arugula or mixed greens (optional)
Place 4 tablespoons oil and garlic in small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until garlic is golden, about 1 minute.
Remove pan from heat; stir in tomato paste. Stir in sugar, oregano, and 1 teaspoon coarse salt. Return pan to heat; cook until tomato spread is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Spread 1 teaspoon tomato spread on top and bottom halves of rolls. Divide cheese slices among bottom halves of rolls. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with arugula, if using. Cover with roll tops. Cut sandwiches in half; wrap. Chill.