- Diet & lifestyle
- Vegetarian meals
Tofu, red pepper, red onion and chillies, all quickly stir-fried in a sweet and sour sauce. If you like milder dishes, decrease the amount of crushed chillies or omit them altogether.
309 people made this
- 3 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 900g (1 lb) firm tofu, cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 tablespoons hot water
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown soft sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed chillies (optional)
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:12min ›Ready in:22min
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium high heat. Toss the tofu into the oil, and cook until browned on all sides. Once browned, toss in onion, red pepper, chilli and garlic; cook until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hot water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornflour and crushed chillies. Pour over tofu and vegetables, toss to coat, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens slightly.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(314)
Reviews in English (203)
Very simple recipe which was tasty and quick to cook. I alsoadded noodles to make the meal more substantial.-28 Jun 2012
I added beansprouts, some spinach and rice noodles to make it a more substantial meal and, as a beginner to cooking with tofu, I found it was really tasty - also nice cold as a packed lunch!-14 Feb 2012
Beautiful only problem was my tofu when to scramble, but great lol.I added a little extra sugar.-24 Dec 2017