- 2 large fresh Anaheim chilies
- 1/2 pound tomatillos,* husked, rinsed, diced
- 1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1 large serrano chili, stemmed, seeded
- 1/4 cup (firmly packed) fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (optional)
Char Anaheim chilies directly over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed, and chop chilies.
Combine tomatillos, broth, green onions, serrano chili, and garlic in medium saucepan; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until mixture is reduced to 1 2/3 cups, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes. Transfer mixture to blender. Add Anaheim chilies, cilantro, and cream. Puree until smooth. Season salsa with salt and pepper. Add lime juice, if desired. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Transfer to small bowl; cover and chill. Rewarm before serving.
*Green tomato-like vegetables with paper-thin husks; available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.